Saturday, April 12, 2014

A To Z Day Eleven: Charlie Brown and the Kite Eating Tree



Most everyone knows who Charlie Brown is. The comic strip "Peanuts" and it's characters are known, I think, around the world. As with any great art, it works on two levels- a tale about a kid trying to fly a kite, and a kind of Sisyphean labor. Charlie Brown bargains with the tree, begs it, defies it, dares it, but still it sits there, implacable, endlessly hungry, ruining his day over and over again, heartless and cruel. I don't know what the late Mr. Schulz intended the tree to "represent", but I think everyone can appreciate a foe that just won't let you have a good time, no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh love Peanuts. And with so many things there are so many ways to look at it. Very true.

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.